Since 2012 I have written for a variety of publications, including the Associated Press, the Intercept, VICE, the Guardian and the NY Review of Books.
Reporting from Africa
- The Intercept. "Wounded in Iraq, Ugandans Fight for Compensation From America."
- Vice Motherboard. "The Western Myth of Bitcoin in Kenya"
- The Guardian. "Meet Uganda's transgender basketball players: discriminated, harassed but unbroken"
- Associated Press. "Skating Is All The Rage in Kenya's Capital."
- Christian Science Monitor. "In Uganda, Filipino soaps are primetime darlings."
- The Advocate. "An LGBT magazine launches in the most hostile of climates: Uganda."
- Christian Science Monitor. "In Uganda, Museveni finds biggest election obstacle in former friends."
- The American Interest. "Western aid money and Uganda’s problems with democracy."
Military and veterans
- NY Review of Books. "The Bells of Balangiga."
- Buzzfeed Ideas. "Why Military Suicide Prevention Fails."
- Pacific Standard. "Veterans in the Ivory Tower: Why there aren’t enough veterans at America’s top schools.
- Primemind. "War's Uncanny Valley."
- Primemind. "A case for why even the most innocent video games are propagandistic"
- Westword. "The War on Stolen Valor is Still Raging."
- Task and Purpose. Writes on veteran's issues.
- Salon. "Columbus gets his comeuppance: Why his holiday is in deep jeopardy"
- VICE Motherboard. "Inside EVE Online's Homegrown Media Apparatus."
- National Memo. "Meet The Immigrant Union Members Striking Against The Trump Taj Mahal"
- Vice Motherboard: "Star Wars Fan Explains What He Was Thinking in His ‘Phantom Menace’ TV Interview"
- Vice Motherboard. How Will Our Perceptions of Our Bodies Change as We Augment Them?
- Talking Writing. Contributing Writer.
- Wag's Revue. "Sonnet to Summer Baseball" [Poem]
- Cha: An Asian Literary Mag. "Journey to Jollibee." [Essay]